2.3.51 tulip broken

Jeff Garzik jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com
Mon Mar 20 13:19:59 2000

Donald Becker wrote:
> It must have seemed like a good idea in Autumn '99, when the kernel was
> "just about to be frozen" in preparation for late-'99 2.4 release, and money
> was pouring into anything with "Linux" in the name, to believe that my
> Ethernet driver development could be better done elsewhere.  There were many
> companies that could suddenly see that PR value in contributing to the
> kernel.  And certainly there are developers that want to see everything
> brought under the central planning of the linux-kernel list.  But replacing
> my efforts is perhaps not as easy as it first appears. Nonetheless, the
> decision was made months ago, and it would be very difficult to reverse it now.

Oh good grief, save the conspiracies for X-Files.

I won't speak for the motivations of others, but for me the 2.3.x kernel
net drivers weren't getting updated, so I decided to play a small part
in correcting that situation.

This has nothing to do with money, or control.  Just broken drivers.

	Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik              | Tact is the ability to tell a man
Building 1024            | he has an open mind when he has a