[tulip] help from a really beginner [Debian, Linksys 10/100 Fast, tulip]

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 09:45:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Gang Zhao wrote:

> I'm really new....not only to tulip, but also to linux....But I did do my
> homework before asking.....so please help.
>
> I download debian stable from its official site, which turns out to be
> kernel 2.0.38. I got an Linksys 10/100 Fast Ethernet card, so I followed

Running 2.0.38 is fine.  It's a stable, reliable kernel with all of the
functionality needed by most non-SMP, non-laptop systems.

But most current distribution have switched to the (also stable and
reliable) 2.2.12 kernel.  As a new user you should consider looking at an
updated distribution.  While little is new in the kernel, most of the GUI
system administration tools have improved dramatically over the past year.

> all the lessons downloaded tulip.c, pci-scan.c, etc., and compiled them.
> At first I almost cannot success in compiling since gcc complains not
> being able to find some .ver files. Then I searched and corrected the path

First clue..

> name. But when I try 'insmod' before installing the .o files into their
> directory, I got a 'kernel version mismatch error', which says the .o
> files are compiled in kernel 2.0.36, albet my version is 2.0.38. -- This
> I'm really confused, since, how can I compile on kernel version 2.0.38 and
> the result is a 2.0.36 binary?

You can always force them to be loaded with 'insmod -f ..', but this message
is pointing out that your header files in  /usr/include/linux are for the
2.0.36 kernel, not the 2.0.38 you are currently running.

> Anybody know what's going on? I don't even know if this is a tulip problem
> or a Linux/Debian compiler problem. Forgive me if I post it in wrong
> place, but please help me.

It's not a compiler problem.
It's a problem with header files from the Debian kernel package you have
installed.

410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Annapolis MD 21403