[tulip] tulip based cluster on Cisco switch

David Thompson thomas@cs.wisc.edu
Sat, 10 Jun 2000 09:30:19 -0500

I'll fess up here; we're Michael's customer in this case.  We are also seeing
the changed MAC address with the .92 driver (vendor code 00:40:f0 instead of
00:c0:f0).  We put the new mac address in our dhcp server but still couldn't
dhcp with the new driver.  The server is sending out replies, but the client
doesn't seem to be getting them.  Caveat for anyone with dhcp and tulip 0.92...

Our sole reason for trying the .92 driver was see if we could use the
'options=' goo to force the whole cluster to 100BaseTX/fdx.  We have not been
able to get these cards to auto-negotiaite properly and/or reliably with the
Cisco switch with either the 'old' or 'new' transceivers, with either tulip
0.91 or 0.92.  Our hope was to forgoe auto-negotiation (which we normally
prefer) because it seems to be borked with the hardware we have.  However, all
attemps to force speed and duplex with either tulip driver version have failed.

Brian, you may want to check your 'netstat -i' from time to time, and/or make
a pass through your cluster with tulip-diag to see if all your NICs are truly
auto-negotiating properly with the switch(es).  We have seen situations with
the where the auto-negotiation originally succeeds, but a couple days later we
find the switch running 100/full and the card 100/half.  This causes bad
things to happen wrt network performance.

--
Dave Thompson  <thomas@cs.wisc.edu>

Associate Researcher                    Department of Computer Science
University of Wisconsin-Madison         http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~thomas
1210 West Dayton Street                 Phone:    (608)-262-1017
Madison, WI 53706-1685                  Fax:      (608)-262-6626