[tulip] Re: Failed to map PCI address ? (Problem solved!)

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Sat, 8 Jul 2000 23:26:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 8 Jul 2000, Fred Wilson Horch wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 08, 2000, Philipp Schulte wrote:
> >> Does anyone know what 'Failed to map PCI address' means?
> >
> >I don't know what it means but I know how to avoid it :)
> >I had this problemsome time ago and Mr. Becker told me to do this:
> >Compile tulip.c v92 with the *additional* flag '-DUSE_IO_OPS'
>
> Wow, that's impressive -- worked like a charm!
>
> I recompiled tulip.c with this command:
>
> gcc -DMODULE -DUSE_IO_OPS -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c tulip.c
> Now, what did I just do?  ;-)

The Tulip registers may be accessed using either I/O space operations, or
using memory space operations.  This compile option switches to using I/O
space operations, which was the original mode the driver used.

The BIOS sets both the I/O base address and the memory base address.  On the
PC architecture I/O space access is traditionally used for peripherals, and
is sometime the only method tested.  The problem you are experiencing is
that the Tulip's memory space is set to a high address, and the 2.0.* kernel
is apparently unable to map that address.  Thus the driver+kernel works with
most BIOSes, but fails with yours.  The 2.2.* kernel uses a different kernel
memory mapping, and thus works with all BIOSes.

I'll change the Tulip driver (and others) to alway use the I/O space mapping
with the pre-2.2 kernels.

> I see the comment in the source of tulip.c:
>
> /* This driver was originally written to use I/O space access, but now
>    uses memory space by default. Override this this with -DUSE_IO_OPS.
> */
>
> Is there any practical difference between the two (I/O space access vs.
> memory space access), aside from the obvious (i.e., that memory space
> doesn't work for me)?  Why was the driver rewritten to use memory space
> by default?

Memory space write operations can be more efficient on most recent systems.
If you do a single memory write operation it's put into the cache-coherent
write buffer, and the CPU continues operation without delay.  The similar
I/O 'outl' operation will cause the CPU to wait until the PCI bus
transaction completes.

This efficiency is most obvious when transmitting a packet.  The only PCI
transaction necessary is a writel or outl that triggers the chip to check
the Tx queue.  (The chip can poll on Tx descriptors, but that adds latency.)

Don't get the mis-impression that waiting one additional PCI transaction
per Tx and packet and interrupt cycle is significant.  It isn't going to be
measurable, let alone noticeable.

410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Beowulf Clusters / Linux Installations
Annapolis MD 21403