[tulip] changing ethernet interface names

John D. Scott jscott@secureworks.net
Thu, 06 Jul 2000 14:52:18 -0400

I work with a company called SecureWorks in Atlanta, GA.  We are
currently using phobos 4 port ethernet cards in our products.  This card
is based on the tulip 21142 chipset, and the latest version of the tulip
driver works like a charm with the phobos cards (picking up all 4
interfaces); however, I have one question, and I hope it is not a stupid
one.

The proprietary drivers provided by phobos insisted upon the naming of
the ethernet devices as pqfe0, pqfe1, pqfe2, and pqfe3.  Of course, the
tulip drivers name the interfaces as eth0, eth1, eth2, and eth3.  The
only problem is that we have written software that specifically uses the
pqfe* device names.  Is there an easy way to alter the tulip driver,
allowing for a different interface naming scheme?  I have been fooling
around with the drivers, and having very little experience doing so, I
am having trouble accomplishing the task of renaming the interfaces.

Please let me know if there is a simple way to do this.  I have to be
missing something simple.

Thanks very much in advance for any assistance you can offer.

-John Scott