Trouble compiling tulip.c

Keith Owens kaos@ocs.com.au
Wed Feb 2 20:13:59 2000

On Wed, 02 Feb 2000 14:00:05 +0000,
Toby Batch <tobias@jcp.co.uk> wrote:
>When I try to compile the tulip.c driver file I get the following list
>of warnings:
>
>In file included from /usr/include/linux/sched.h:20,
>                 from tulip.c:119:
>/usr/include/linux/smp.h:77: warning: `smp_num_cpus' redefined
>/usr/include/linux/modules-smp/i386_ksyms.ver:72: warning: this is the
>location of the previous definition

You are compiling with a mixture of kernel symbols on and kernel
symbols off.  Unfortunately the kernel Makefiles do not handle this
correctly, the linux-kbuild list people are looking at a complete
Makefile rewrite for 2.5.  In the meantime

cp .config /tmp
make mrproper (the only thing that completely cleans up version crud)
mv /tmp/.config .
make oldconfig
make dep clean && make -j2 bzImage modules