[tulip] Too much work during an interrupt error..

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 09:26:48 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 22 Dec 2000 nord@virtualscope.com wrote:

> Hello,  I have been spending the last several hours trying to track
> down a pesky glitch in my network that was causing odd behavior with
> Windows NT -> Samba transfers (it doesnt look the there is a problem
> with Samba -> NT).  After eliminating most of the probable elements that
> might cause this, I decided to grab some new drivers for the Linux side
> (Debian 2.2 running 2.2.17 btw).  After compiling and a reboot, I tried
> to see if the problem persisted, and it did, only this time I some
> info on whats happening due to debug being enabled, as follows:
>
> Dec 22 02:17:14 dome-wall kernel: eth0: Too much work during an interrupt,
> csr5=0x02670050.

What other hardware does this machine have?

Something is blocking interrupts for a very long time.
The problem is usually a device driver that interrupts the Tulip interrupt
handler, and then leaves interrupts disabled for a long time.

> Dec 22 02:17:24 dome-wall kernel: eth0: Too much work during an interrupt,
> csr5=0x02678057.

Hmmm, the transmitter stopped.  Perhaps because of an out-of-window
collision (you have a full duplex machine on a half-duplex network).

> Now this happens at exactly the same time as odd NT behavior, which is the
> mouse freezing for about 1.5 seconds and the transfer stopping.  Then the
> trasfer resumes again in about a second.  Also, the system that I'm running
> is an AMD 750mhz on an Abit KT7 motherboard.  Any info on how I should go
> about resolving this very annoying problem would be great! Even if it's just
> getting a new, different brand ethernet card..

That usually won't fix a system problem.