[tulip] LNE100TX... not solved

Erik Steffl steffl@bigfoot.com
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 03:18:12 -0800

Erik Steffl wrote:
> 9.Computers with Cyrix 686 CPUs. The bus speed on these computers may
> have to be lowered from 75Mhz to 66Mhz (or lower).

  I have tried to set lower bus speed but the computer would not boot.
there are jumpers to set external speed (I think that's the bus speed)
to 50, 55, 60, 66.6 and 75 MHz. the default is 66.6 and it works.

  there are other jumpers that allow to set internal clock factor: 2,
3.5 and 3 (default, which works, is 2).

  I have tried:

  50MHz and 2
  50MHz and 3

  both of them do not work, the computer does not even boot, does not
even start, the HD light is on and that's it.

  I have searched the web but found nothing relevant, except that I
shouldn't overclock cyrix much (if at all). The motherboard is P5SV-B
with SIS 5571 chip, the processor is 6x86MX Rev. 1.3

  any insights?

  on http://www.tux.org/~balsa/linux/cyrix/index.html I have found:

Some combinations of bus-mastering Ethernet network cards, BIOSes and
motherboards are known not to work with the 6x86 power-down mode
enabled, so remove this option from the rc.cyrix script if you are using
set6x86 and having problems.

  I have disabled the low power suspend mode (the processor got qute hot
even though it's not overclocked) but it did not help at all.

  anyway, since the card works under win95 the above shouldn't helped
anyway... or is linux more sensitive to these settings?

  what's kinda surprising is that now the card freezes completely (I
have to reload driver) with the 0.92p driver even though it used to work
slightly better (only tx disconnects).

  the ifconfig eth0 used to report carrier errors while now it report
unspecified errors:

jojda:/home/erik# ifconfig eth0
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:20:78:12:14:CC
          inet addr:192.168.1.1  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0xb000

  the number of errors goes up even though I do not try to transmit
anything.

  it all changed since I took out some cards and put them back in (into
the same slots). there are no error messages on console or in syslog.
any ideas what any of this means?

  what other tests I can do to find out what the problem is? preferably
with the two computers and crossover cable only because I don't have
anything else.

	erik