[tulip] LNE100TX... not solved

Erik Steffl steffl@bigfoot.com
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 15:13:59 -0800

Donald Becker wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Hank Barta wrote:
>
> >     My clue was that the same card in another system seemed to work
> >     fine. (I probably haven't thrashed it enough to really say it
> >     works flawlessly.) I then want back to the troublesome system
> >     and tried moving the card to another PCI slot and that did the
> >     trick. Note that I it still required the 'test' version of the
> >     tulip driver.
> >     FWIW, my motherboard is an ABIT KT-7. Several of the PCI slots
> >     are 'shared' with onboard peripherals such as the VIA chip set
> >     (USB, IDE, Video.) From reading the ABIT news group, I get the
>
> That's the problem.  We have a bunch of ABit BP-6 boards.  (They are a cheap
> way to test software on a large-CPU-count cluster.)  The BP-6 has two slots
> that are both nominally "bus masters", but they actually share bus master
> pins.  Thus they nominally comply with the PCI bus requirements when tested
> individually, but you can't use two bus masters cards in those slots.

  do you think that the problem with my card is caused by this (PCI
funnyness)? How do I find out if card wants to be a bus master? any
pointer on how to place cards? how do diagnose the problem? anything?

  I have SIS motherboard (5517? don't remember the number), network card
in one PCI slot, voodoo 3 in another PCI slot, one slot is free (when I
put network card into that one, it conflicts with sound card, only about
1 sec of audio is heard). is it a problem of crappy motherboard? it's
definitely one of the cheapest, about 3 years old and I haven't heard
much good about SIS chips but other then this it works fine (except of
when I tried to put in two sound cards, if I rebooted the machine it
would not boot, I had to turn it off for few minutes)

  [my problem: tx fails, lot of carrier errors when heavy traffic,
LNE100TX version 4.1]

	erik