[tulip] LNE100TX... not solved

Erik Steffl steffl@bigfoot.com
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 12:48:14 -0800

Hank Barta wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Donald Becker wrote:
>

> > The ADMtek Centaur 985 chip does work, and frequently tested.
>
>     I can sympathize with the frustration of someone trying to get

  thanks:-)

>     one of these working, having been through the same issue myself.
>     My clue was that the same card in another system seemed to work
>     fine. (I probably haven't thrashed it enough to really say it
>     works flawlessly.) I then want back to the troublesome system
>     and tried moving the card to another PCI slot and that did the
>     trick. Note that I it still required the 'test' version of the
>     tulip driver.

  the same card seems to be working in win95 (in exactly the same HW
situation, I just dual boot win 95)

  drivers definitely have something to do with that, but it's true that
card is strangely dependent on it's position.

  I used to have it in different position and the card was behaving just
like it behaves right now (tx time-outs) but the sound card did not
work! when I moved the network card to different PCI slot, the sound
card started to work but the network card worked even less. not only I
had tx time-outs, I had to reload drivers to make the card work again.
this problem was fixed by development driver (and also independently by
patches from Dan Hollis), but tx problem time-out (no need to reload the
drivers though, it's just one particuar transfer that fails) is still
present.

  I have three PCI slots, one is used by video card, I might try to use
some other combinations to see if it helps, but given the number of
various sensitive stuff in PC I am not exactly eager to try all the
possibilities...

>     I would appreciate any pointers or guidelines from those who
>     know more than me on how PCI conflicts can be avoided or
>     resolved.

  me too! but it looks like the windows driver does not have the same
problems, so I guess it can be fixed by software, no need to shuffle
card. of course, it might be just lucky situation for win95, in other
situation win95 might not work and tulip.o might work.... who knows

  anybody has more insight?

	erik