[tulip] Transmit lockup on file transfers

Erik Steffl steffl@bigfoot.com
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 15:00:15 -0800

Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Erik Steffl wrote:
> >   btw is there any chance you can try it via crossover cable? [not sure
> > if it makes sense]
>
> I'll try it, but the other card is also a Linksys 4.1, I think you said
> you were having problems to an eepro100?

  yes, it's intel 100/PRO (or PRO/100, I can't remember right now and
can't check it).

> >   what is NWAY? do you think the problem is that it's a card on the
> > other side? would it help to try another card on the other side? or do
> > you want me to try it over straight cable to switch or hub?
>
> NWAY is the ethernet autonegotiation standard.

  well, win 95 autonegotiate against same intel card just fine.

> >   is there something like loopback that would help?
>
> The DOS utilities included on the lne100tx dis have a loopback and
> end-to-end test mode you can use to test card(s).

  I used that (diag.exe, IIRC) and everything worked fine, it was
transmitting like crazy, no errors. Under win 95 the card seems to work
fine, I did some disk copying both way and had no errors.

  the fact that card works under win95 means (IMO) that either the
hardware and other side work fine or that at least driver can adapt to
it and work correctly.

  since the card works correctly in other setups you guess that there is
some problem with the cable/other card, or at last that it's the
specific way they behave/work that uncovers the errors in LNE100TX
(driver or HW?) - right?

  btw: the tulip driver you've sent us seems to deal with
TxFIFOUnderflow problem, there's nothing about autonegotiation... ?

	erik