[tulip] netgear's fa310-tx and d-link switch

Jaap Brink brink@tiger.3dem.bioch.bcm.tmc.edu
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 00:26:36 -0600 (CST)

Hi people,

I've been using a 10-baseT hub on my LAN which has a box with masquarading
linux distro (rh 6.0 with 2.2.16-3 kernel) and 2 nic's. They're Netgear's
FA310-TX and an Accton Cheetah, i.e. the distro is using the tulip and
rtl8139 drivers. Now, on this LAN everything's fine. Tonight, I plopped in
a D-link DSS8+ switch instead of mu trusty hub, I did a 'ifdown eth0'
followed by an 'ifup eth0' on all appropriate machines and verified that
on the switch I only see 100BaseT and full-duplex lights that are on. The
problem I'm having is that all of the machines behind the linux box can
see each other. None of them can see the linux box directly. Ping packets
seem to drop on the floor. Using other ports on the switch seemed to
indicate that the switch itself was fine. So, I'm having a hard time
understanding that there's actually a problem at all. I've looked around
if others have reported similar problems but I haven't seen anything. Can
somebody help out? Much appreciated.

Jaap

Jaap Brink, Ph.D., Biochemistry, One Baylor Plaza, Baylor College of
Medicine, Rm. N420 Alkek Building, Houston, TX 77030
Phone: (713)798-6989 -- Fax: (713)796-9438 -- Email: jbrink@bcm.tmc.edu
URL  : http://ncmi.bioch.bcm.tmc.edu/~brink