[tulip] D-Link DFE 570tx install problem

peter church peterc@brosystems.com
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 18:33:27 +0100

Donald Becker wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, peterc wrote:
>
> >       I hope you will be able to help me with this. I am currently trying to
> > install
> > mandrake 7.1 onto a machine with 2 DFE570tx (4 port) cards on board. The O/S
> > install seems to work fine. I reboot the machine and that goes ok as well
> > the system comes back up and binds eth0 ,eth1 ,eth2 ,eth3 to the correct IP
> > addresses. However when I look in the /var/log/messages file I get an error
> > saying...
> >
> >  kernel: eth0: media is unconnected, link down or incompatable connection.
> >
> > do I need to build and install a tulip driver or should it already be part
> > of my kernel ?
> > Or is there something else that I am doing wrong ?
>
> What driver are you using?
> What is the detection message?
>
> You should be using the Tulip driver, not the de4x5 driver.

> Donald Becker                           becker@scyld.com
> Scyld Computing Corporation             http://www.scyld.com
> 410 Severn Ave. Suite 210               Beowulf-II Cluster Distribution
> Annapolis MD 21403

Hi
Thankyou for coming back to me on this at the moment the mandrake seems to be
fails to load ! however the problem  seemed to be that  the card would not detect
the base 10 hub that I was using to test the setup !  If I use a cross-cable and
connect between the  ports it works ok

I will get the tulip code from the site and let you know how it goes

thanks again

Peter