[tulip] Linksys Network Card not working

Poly poly@mail.sisna.com
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 15:41:02 -0600

Hi Zhu,

I had a hard time with this setting, but at the end, it was very simple and it is working really well.  Here is what I can about it now:

1. First, check out your version of the Linksys LNE 100 TX card.  There are many version, and what follows applies to Version 2 of the card, the one that I have.  I did not try other versions, so I really cannot say much about them.

2. Use Red Hat 6.2 preferably because the driver in 6.2 works well with the card.  If you are using 6.1 or 6.0, you might have to download the driver and compile it.  I won't really advise that.

3. I was doing all this for practice at home, and I have only 2 PCs.  Therefore, there was no gateway, and no need for one, so when I was entering the network parameters, I left the gateway part blank.

4.  For a long time, netconf was telling me that my card was active while in fact it wasn't.  The problem was, there was no IRQ assigned. You know that from doing
cat /var/log/messages | grep eth0
on a fresh install.  If it gives a value for IRQ other than 0, you don't need to touch the BIOS.  To get the system to assign an IRQ to the card, I had to make a change in the BIOS:  While the computer is starting and showing that blue HP screen, type F1.  (Most computers show you a starting screen with type F1 to enter setup.  Instead, that systems just show the HP screen.  That is really stupid).  In the BIOS, there is a screen where it says OS=... I changed that from Windows to Other.  I think that was the most important part.

I hope this helps.  Otherwise, when I get home, I can get more details about the BIOS, and the network parameters for you.

Thanks.

Poly.

From: Yanglong Zhu <yzhu@ou.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 22:33:41 -0700