[tulip] Linksys LNE100TX Version 4.1 hits the shelves ... any comments?

Bryan -TheBS- Smith thebs@theseus.com
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 18:36:29 -0400

Linksys LNE100TX Version 4.1 hits the shelves ... any comments?

I just bought (4) LNE100TX Version 4.1 NIC cards.  Have no idea what
chipset is on-board.  Linksys' site seems to have the same attitude
(no info on Version 4.1, only 4.0).

/proc filesystem keeps talking about an "Ethernet card with an
unknown chipset".  I tried tulip.c v0.91g-ppc to no avail (wouldn't
load).  I'm running kernels 2.2.16-8 (from RedHat Rawhide) and
also tried 2.2.16-8.Ext3.4 (from VALinux).

I also went ahead and downloaded Donald Becker's new "Netdriver
package 2.0" with tulip.c v0.92 (and the required scan-pci and
other modules) and installed it.  FYI, the URL is:
   http://www.scyld.com/network/updates.html

Still wasn't a go.  I'm going to try the test v0.92h driver
tomorrow.

Another thing, the new card requires PCI 2.1 and I'm unsure whether
or not my old test system is PCI 2.1-compliant (old i440FX
chipset -- anyone know if i440FX supports 2.1?).  I'm going to try
it in a newer system tomorrow (VIA Pro/133A).

Just wondering if anyone has any info on these new Version 4.1
cards?  Hopefully they will work with Windows NT 4.0, but if I know
NIC vendors, new cards are usually Windows 9x only (pisses me off).

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith                            CONTACT INFO
 Chat: thebs413 @ AOL/MSN/Yahoo (see http://Everybuddy.com)