Question on changing MAC addresses

jlhagen@collins.rockwell.com jlhagen@collins.rockwell.com
Thu Apr 27 12:08:44 2000

Hello,

we currently have an avionics system that talks over 10Mbit ethernet lines.
For testing
this system we are trying to use commercial hardware such as ethernet taps
with
pc multi port nic cards. In order to stimulate the avionics boxes we need
to be able to
modify the MAC address of the commercial nic card. The avionics boxes are
doing source validation on all data received, meaning they will only except
ethernet
packets from the appropriate MAC addressed sender. I was wondering about
the
ability under Linux to easily change the MAC address of Zynx 346Q (
DEC21143)
and Adaptec ANA-6944A/TX(also DEC based) . Your thoughts, ideas, warnings,
will be welcomed.  Is this something we could do with "ifconfig" ????

Thanks ,
John