Intel Cardbus eeprom

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu Apr 6 11:24:41 2000

On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Nick Birkett wrote:

> Hi we have a number of Intel Cardbus 32 bit pcmcia cards.
..
> However I need to do a
> tulip-diag -w
> (tulip-diag.c:v1.19 10/2/99 )
>
> to write new eeprom contents. This overwrites the MAC address.

The tulip-diag program will selectively rewrite the EEPROM.

It looks in the CIS for a type 0x22 tuple that contains a six byte value
used to carry the station address.  If the tulip-diag program finds this
value, it moves it over to the regular EEPROM table and adds a working media
selection table.

> Could somebody point out how I edit (or use) tulip-diag to change the MAC
> address as we have a number of these cards and don't want all the MAC
> addresses the same ?
>
> The MAC address is currently set to 00:a0:c9:79:85:19 by tulip-diag.

Try it on a second card, without actually committing the write, and verify
that you get a different station address.  You should...
Be certain to record the original station address, just in case there is a
problem.

Donald Becker
Scyld Computing Corporation, becker@scyld.com