tulip.c v0.91g in 2.2.x or 2.3.x series?

Donald Becker becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Oct 28 12:35:07 1999

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Eric Kolkmeier wrote:

> Subject: tulip.c v0.91g in 2.2.x or 2.3.x series?
>
> Re: http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip.c
>
> I'm wondering if the development version of the tulip driver is going to be
> integrated into the linux kernel.  I have no problems using the provided
> tulip.c and compiling it as a module or into the kernel directly, but my
> "concern" is for newbies who have the 82c115 chip in their card.  The 82c115
> chip isn't supported in any fashion (AFAIK) in either the stable or
> development kernels.  BTW, I'm using a Linksys LNE100TX card.

See the discussion last week on the Linux-kernel mailing list:
  http://www.tux.org/hypermail
The subject was titled  "Re: PATCH 2.3.23 pre 2 compile fixes"

I was *not* happy with the exchange, especially after having spent several
weeks on the "kern-2.3" conversion.  (Linus had insisted that I remove the
backwards-compatibility with 2.2 and earlier kernels.)

Donald Becker
Scyld Computing Corporation, and
USRA-CESDIS,   becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov