trouble with mismatched network

Kirk Reiser kirk@braille.uwo.ca
Mon Oct 25 21:54:36 1999

First of All, I didn't see any reply to my message from Donald Becker,
so I may be barking up the wrong tree here.

>Donald Becker writes:
> > The word from LiteOn is that the BSD "fix" is only needed because they are
> > using the chip is the chained descriptor mode, which isn't supported by the
> > PNIC.  The Linux driver uses the chip in descriptor ring mode (and also
> > chains the descriptors for work-alikes that don't use ring mode).
>
> > The work-around is high overhead and an ugly hack.

I would like to know then what is a fix that I can in fact use.  I
will go and try to find the patch but that will take some time,
because first I have to find the archive and so on.

I checked the BIOS but there seems to be no cpu-topci of any sort,
write buffer or otherwise.  I checked for anything else that looked
likely but couldn't find anything.

Needless to say this is a very show stopping problem, bug, whatever.

  Kirk