problem compiling drivers

Matthew Jacob mjacob@feral.com
Fri Jan 29 12:51:40 1999

> >   The system is running with MODULE versions. You compiled without. The rest
> >   is left as an exercise for the reader.
> >

> cute. yet, i used the compile instruction from the driver source which
> has "-DMODULE" flag. to me it suggests that it would turn the option
> off. sorry for being so dense but i'd really appreciate one more hint.

-10 points on final grade.

Two module related flags -DMODULE and -DMODEVERSIONS. The
tail end of tulip says:

	gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet
		-Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c tulip.c `[ -f
		/usr/include/linux/modversions.h ] && echo -DMODVERSIONS`"

If -DMODVERSIONS didn't happen, then one of two things has occurred:

	/usr/src/linux is not the current running kernel

	/usr/include/linux doesn't symlink into include/linux for
	the current running kernel

-DMODULE meand 'define MODULE'. -DMODVERSIONS means 'define MODVERSIONS'.

-matt