Asante? was Re: Cheap, good tulips...

Duffey, Harry (Houston) hduffey@hess.com
Mon Jan 11 09:34:21 1999

For that price you can buy Intel Ether Express Pro 10/100 nics that work
everytime.
http://www.pricewatch.com

To all who are using Tulip based cards.  We have tried different cards
with all of Becker's drivers.  You can eventually get them to work buy
finding the right combination of card and driver.  Plan on spending some
time doing this.  I do understand the tulip based cards are cheaper.

In my opinion, we have switched to Intel cards because they work
everytime with no special tweaking.  As far as performance, we are
running at wire speed (100Mbps) on every benchmark test performed.  If
Linux wants to make it in this Windows dominant world, users are going
to have to be able to plug in an ethernet card and not spend hours
trying to get it to work (By the way, I'm tired of Windows ruling this
world.  I'm ready for a "real" operating system like Linux to take
over).  The Intel cards have done that for us.  I will continue to use
Intel cards both at work and home until I find a cheaper card that you
can plug in and work right from the start.  My time is very valuable.
The time I spent trying to get the Tulip based cards to work properly
(with our switch), I could have bought several Intel cards.

That is something all of you should think about.

p.s.  I've called several Linux hardware vendors and low and behold they
use Intel exclusively on high-end Linux servers and workstations.

Harry