Asante? was Re: Cheap, good tulips...

Geoff Thompson geofft@waikato.ac.nz
Sun Jan 10 16:15:05 1999

On 08-Jan-99 Anthony M. Bray wrote:
> I was looking around my local (Greensboro, NC) CompUSA today, and found
> a card by some people called 'Asante'.  The box is purple with a 'works
> with MacOS' sticker on it, although it claims to work with pc's as
> well.  Anyway, the picture of the card has a 21140-AE on it, although
> the chip isn't mentioned anywhere else. I'll try to pick one up
> tomorrow.
> If it doesn't work I guess I'll just return it.
>
> Here's the card info on Asante's web page:
>
> http://www.asante.com/Products/af10100.html
>
> It appears to be available for $49.95 from CompUSA's online website.
> Here's the link:
>
> http://www.compusa.com:80/compusa/product_display.asp?prod%5Fid=99%2D00493%2D8
> 7&cat%5Fid=NICs&TrackingID=0
>
> I'll report whatever I find.

Anthony,

You might know this already, but when the DE450's (from Digital) were about,
they had a Mac driver available  (Actually it may have been SMC that released
the driver, but I know we had a Mac with a 2104x based card working in it).  I
assume Asante (a well known Mac Ethernet vendor), have released a similar
product to try and cash in on the market.

Geoff.

Geoff Thompson <geofft@waikato.ac.nz>
University of Waikato,
Hamilton, New Zealand
Ph: (07) 838 4748

Random Quote of the Minute :
Somehow, the world always affects you more than you affect it.