problem with new (21143 TD) LinkSys Cardbus

Nathan Anderson nathana@premier1.net
Fri Jan 8 00:50:09 1999

Bruce Lowekamp wrote:

> I'm trying to get a LinkSys Cardbus controller to work---currently it
> fails while doing negotiation.  I'm currently using 0.90f of tulip.c
> with the 2.0.6 pcmcia package.
>
> I believe that the card I have is a new "TD" card, as was mentioned in
> http://www.tux.org/hypermail/linux-tulip/1998-Dec/0078.html.
> I changed EEPROM_ADDRLEN to 8 as Donald recommended in that message.
> The driver now detects the card's hardware address properly, but
> as far as I can tell nothing else actually works.

[snip]

Bruce,

Dittos here.  I mentioned in a follow-up to Donald's message
<http://www.tux.org/hypermail/linux-tulip/1998-Dec/0079.html> that,
although changing EEPRON_ADDRLEN to 8 allowed the driver to find the
card's address, the card still does not work, failing with "transmitter
stopped" errors.  I don't know if Donald read my follow-up or not.  It
being the holidays, I didn't expect a speedy response anyways. ;-)  I do
appreciate Donald's speediness in responding to my first message.  I was
surprised I got a response (esp. from him) so quickly!

Alas, I don't have a TD card to help test stuff out with anymore, as I
ran out of time and had to hastily choose which card to return and which
to keep.  I decided to keep the older card as it actually works
(including the lights) fairly trouble-freely with 0.89l.

One question for you: have you experienced any random hard lockups
(cold-boot) as a result of inserting the card?  I have had that happen
to me a few times, and it happened on my 'TD' card as well.  It may very
well be pcmcia services' driver for my PCMCIA controller as Donald
suggested, but I just wanted to know if anyone else has had an
experience similar to mine.  If you have, what kind of portable do you
own and if you know, what PCMCIA and CardBus controller does it use?

Thanks,

-- Nathan Anderson    16 yrs old
   <mailto:nathana@premier1.net>