Please Help: Can't get Macronix 98713 to Work

Donald Becker becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Feb 12 00:59:59 1999

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Robert McNally wrote:

> Subject: Please Help: Can't get Macronix 98713 to Work
..
> is a NDC Communications Sohoware Fast Auto 10/100 PCI adapter.
>
> The manufacturer tells me it uses Tulip-compatible chips. My attempts

The Macronix chip is a Tulip work-alike, with some changes in the media
selection registers.  The first 12 registers are very similar to the 21140.

> to use the tulip driver included with Red Hat 5.2 have so far been
> unsuccessful, however. I have downloaded and installed the most recent
> test version of tulip.c (v0.90k), but also with no success.
>
> I have been unable to compile tulip-diag.c, as it appears to call for
> "cc", a compiler I don't have (Red Hat seems to only come with gcc,

Usually 'cc' is a link to gcc
beta$ ls -atlr /usr/bin/cc
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            3 Oct  3 11:38 /usr/bin/cc -> gcc*

>   The PCI BIOS has not enable the device at 0/72!  Updating PCI command 0084->0085.
> tulip.c:v0.90k 2/1/99 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
> eth0: Macronix 98713 PMAC rev 17 at 0xd800, 00 80 c6 f7 6f 0c, IRQ 255.
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable
>     Ethernet controller: Unknown vendor MX98713 (rev 17).
>       Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 255.  Master Capable.  Latency=66.  Min Gnt=8.Max Lat=56.
>       I/O at 0xd800.

Your BIOS isn't assigning an IRQ.  Change the "PnP OS" (a misnomer) field,
or a field that relates to IRQ assignment, in the BIOS setup.

It's curious that your PCI BIOS uses IRQ255 to mean no IRQ assignment.  This
is the correct value, but most x86 BIOSes use IRQ0.

Donald Becker					  becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882	     http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html