Digital DS21143 is killing me!

Zach Copley snatcher@pigdog.org
Wed Feb 10 00:44:42 1999

On Tue, Feb 09, 1999 at 06:28:37AM -0800, Zach Copley wrote:
> Hi, I'm desperately trying to get a DEC DS21143 to work with Red
> Hat 5.2.

Hooray!!!!  I found a workaround, thanks to a really nice person
who has been reading this list and send me a private response.

Here's what worked for me:

I got the v.79 version of the tulip driver, available on the Red
Hat 4.2 CD, and also from this url:

   http://ftp.desy.de/pub/linux/misc/netdrivers/tulip.c-0.79

- Compiled it up,
- copied it over to my modules dir
- ran /sbin/depmod -a
- put "options tulip options=1" in my /etc/conf.modules file
- rebooted

Packets are finally flowing into my machine!  Hooray!  The
autosense feature of the driver still does not work, but if I
force it to use 10base2 (with that options=1 option to the
module), it works.

It's interesting that the v.79 driver thinks the card is a 21142.
It agrees with Windows NT.  The latest version of the driver,
v.90k (and v.90f), on the other hand, senses that the card is a
21143.  I believe that the card is a "Digital Fast EtherWORKS PCI
10/100 (DE500)," but I'm not sure.  I wonder if that might have
something to do with the problem.

At any rate, I would still be interested in any way that I could
get the latest driver to work, or any other ideas on what the
problem might be.

Thanks again for your help everybody!!  This is for my personal machine,
so it was a big deal to me to get the card working.

Zach

--

                 .^....^.  "I don't like the feel of
                 ! .\/. !  [the sun] on my skin."