Problems with LinkSys 10/100 cards

Brian Denheyer briand@deldotd.com
Fri Feb 5 14:03:02 1999

    >> > I have seen transfer rates as high as 67Mbit/s, when things are
    >> > working, so I guess the cards are working properly ??
    >> With netperf I get 95-96 Mbit/sec with both UDP and TCP.
    >> With netpipe it seems to top about at about 91 Mbit/s

    Marko> And what was the packet size in these tests? Not small packets, I assume?
    Marko> I'd be very interested in seeing the measurements done with 64byte, 128 byte,
    Marko> 256, 512, 1024 and 1476 packet sizes.

That's the really great thing about netpipe it starts at 1 byte
transfers and increments the size to a define upper limit, which I
have been setting to 1048576, i.e. 1Mbyte.

I think I am finally making some progress.  My problems only seem to
occur in one direction.  I'm going to swap cards.  Of course, I won't
be swapping motherboards, so i'm not sure how to figure out if a MB
setting is causing the trouble.  Something is definitely flaky.

At this point a comment from Donald, or anyone else in the know, on
what an "ethernet packet being to big and spanning multiple frames" is
would be really helpful. :-) What would be even more helpful is a
comment on why such an error would then cause subsequent problems with
transfers.

Anyway I'll post (numeric) results before too much longer.

Brian