Problems with LinkSys 10/100 cards

Douglas Eadline deadline@plogic.com
Fri Feb 5 07:11:34 1999

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Brian Denheyer wrote:

> This driver is not happy.
>
> netperf and netpipe can both cause strange error messages from the
> driver :
>
> 1. eth0: too much work during an interrupt, csr5=0x026980d0
> 2. eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame spanned multiple buffers, status 26cca300!
>
> I see message 2 A LOT especially when running netpipe.

I assume this is with the patched driver.

> Aaaargh ! I seem to get different results all the time. On numerous
> occasions I have seen the driver stop working properly after running
> netpipe.  Sometimes netpipe won't even run correctly, I get message #2
> and then that's all folks, remove tulip and reload it.  I have seen
> this behavior under windoze, transfers via samba die and windows says
> it can't complete the transfer.

> Netperf seems to be much more reliable but I have seen dependency on
> what I run and when, i.e. netperf first or netpipe first, etc...
>
> Anyway I managed to find a copy of the datasheet for the PNIC part, so
> maybe I can make more headway.
>
> I have seen transfer rates as high as 67Mbit/s, when things are
> working, so I guess the cards are working properly ??
With netperf I get 95-96 Mbit/sec with both UDP and TCP.
With netpipe it seems to top about at about 91 Mbit/s

Doug
Paralogic, Inc.           |     PEAK     |      Voice:+610.861.6960
115 Research Drive        |   PARALLEL   |        Fax:+610.861.8247
Bethlehem, PA 18017 USA   |  PERFORMANCE |    http://www.plogic.com