Linksys Etherfast 10/100 Card problem?

Win Heagy wheagy@erols.com
Sat Aug 28 22:11:26 1999

Hi,

I am new to the list.  I recently purchased the Linksys
Fast Ethernet starter kit.  It came with two PCI 10/100
cards based on the PNIC chips.  I am using (as recommended by
Linksys) the tulip driver dated tulip.c:v0.91 4/14/99.
The other machine currently on the network is a notebook using
a Linksys PCMCIA 10/100 card.  On the desktop machine (90 mhz Pentium),
I compiled the tulip driver into the kernel (2.0.36).  The network
works well for about 20 or 30 minutes and then starts to slow down
until it eventually locks requiring a reboot of the desktop machine.
I usually notice this when using the notebook machine and
running a telnet session to the desktop and piping a Netscape
session back to the notebook display.  The X server on the notebook
becomes unresponsive.  If I exit the X server, I can still
use the notebook, but get extremely slow response over the
network to the desktop machine.  If I reboot the desktop,
performance returns to normal for a period of time and then the above
starts over again.

I tried Linksys tech support and their answer was to ask on this list.
Sort of strange tech support.  Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions,
I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Win

wheagy@erols.com