Linksys PNIC II glitches

Kevin Huber khuber@yuck.net
Fri Aug 13 22:12:31 1999

"Becker" == Donald Becker <becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov> writes:
Becker> What is reporting 10Mbps?

The default media type when the module loads, and tulip-diag port
selection.  I guess that needn't correlate with the autoselect media
type.  (ifport eth0 reports auto.)  tulip-diag reports "10mpbs-serial
100baseTx scrambler, full-duplex".  The full-duplex there seems odd
since it's connected to a hub.  ( Obviously I don't understand the
output I'm seeing; I appreciate your patience ).

I can transfer with ftp at around 1200-1300K/sec which seems higher
than 10mbps ethernet cards, but not 10x faster.  My expectations may
just be too high.

/var/log/messages:
tulip.c:v0.90f 12/17/98 Originally written by becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Driver modified for Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter on 01/13/99
eth0: PNIC II at 0xfc00, 00 a0 cc 33 4b e2, IRQ 10.
eth0:  EEPROM default media type 10baseT.

Becker> Remember that 'ifconfig' isn't reporting the speed, only the link
Becker> encapsulation type.

Good to know.  Thank you for your help and good work!  It would still
be nice to find out why .91g doesn't work with this card -- I'm not
sure what diagnostics would be helpful other than those I posted
earlier.

-Kevin

./tulip-diag:
tulip-diag.c:v1.10 4/12/99 Donald Becker (becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov)
Index #1: Found a Lite-On PNIC-II adapter at 0xfc00.
 Port selection is 10mpbs-serial 100baseTx scrambler, full-duplex.
 Transmit started, Receive started, full-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
  The Tx process state is 'Idle'.
  The transmit unit is set to store-and-forward.
 Use '-a' to show device registers,
     '-e' to show EEPROM contents,
  or '-m' to show MII management registers.