[Fwd: CNET PRO120 and Kernel 2.2.5 no problem]

James Barwick jbarwick@basicsllp.com
Fri Apr 16 17:52:20 1999

--------------44F0F1DE0A4B839261E123EB

Date: Fri Apr 16 17:52:20 1999
From: James Barwick <jbarwick@basicsllp.com>
To: Dirk Fentross <dirk.fentross@t-b-f.de>
Subject: CNET PRO120 and Kernel 2.2.5 no problem

Every once and a while the author of a program needs good feedback, so
here it goes.

I upgraded my system from Slackware 3.6 Kernel 2.0.35 to Slackware ???
Kernel 2.2.5.  I say ??? because the slackware version is nolonger applicable

because I had to upgrade almost all packages (modutils, net-tools, ipchains,
etc.....)

When I got the 2.2.5 source, it had tulip 0.89 in it.  I copied over my 0.90z

version to the net/drivers directory and compiled the kernel and modules.

Withing 10 hours, I had everything working (all nighter).

Tulip 0.90z on my CNET PRO120 is working GREAT!!!!  I don't know what
I had wrong with my old kernel, but throughput actually increased.

with 2.0.35, throughput was about 2.5-2.7Mbps avg.
with 2.2.5, throughput has increased to 3.1-3.5Mbps avg.
(same file set transferred FTP for test)

Damn good for TCP/IP on a 10Mbps line!

Good Job Don!  And Thanks!

I just got my CNET 10/100 Internal Bridge Hub last night.  Now to test
100Mbps LAN.

--------------44F0F1DE0A4B839261E123EB--