Tulip based Network Adapter

Metod Kozelj metod.kozelj@rzs-hm.si
Fri Apr 9 06:54:21 1999

Hello,

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, HO Soo-Khim wrote:

> Whenever I have two network adapters, one Tulip-based Network Adapter
> (DEC 21143) and
> one RTL8139 based Network Adapter (Both PCI). The moment I reboot the
> system, the system
> always bind eth0 to the Tulip based Network Adapter. Regardless of which
> PCI slot that I placed
> the Tulip-based Network Adapter (Can be IRQ 10 or 11).
>
> If I used two Tulip-based Network Adapters, the eth0 is alway bind to
> Network Adapter at IRQ 11.
> But with two RTL8139 based Network Adpaters, the eth0 is alway bind to
> the Network Adapter at
> IRQ 10.

The order of NICs mapping to eth devices is bound to the order the drivers
are loaded. If the tulip driver is loaded prior to some other, then eth0
will be tulip card. The NICs, drivern by the same driver, are mapped to
eth devices according to their MAC I believe.

Regards,
  Metod

Metod Kozelj

mailto:Metod.Kozelj@rzs-hm.si            /\  Ne posiljajte mi smeti ker grizem!