Unknown PCI device ID ??????

Matt Shirel shirel@iso.net
Thu Sep 17 16:07:23 1998

Hi

I'm attempting to get 2 NetGear FA310tx nics (on 2 Tyan Tiger 100 MBs)
to talk across a cross-over cable.  After overcoming RH5.1 frustrations,
I have both cards initializing correctly.  When I attempt to ping the
other card, the ping starts and hangs waiting for a response.  I can
watch the lights on the cards and in both directions, I see one card
flashing for transmitting packets and the other card flashing for
recieving packets.  But ifconfig shows lots of TX packets and zero RX
packets.

I'm including the results of "tulip-diag -a".  I suspect the problem
lies in the first line which is written to standard error "Unknown PCI
device ID bffffb84" -- but I not sure what this means or what the
solution is.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

tulip-diag -a

Unknown PCI device ID bffffb84.
tulip-diag.c:v1.05 8/28/98 Donald Becker (becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov)
Index #1: Found a Digital DS21140 Tulip adapter at 0xec00.
Digital DS21140 Tulip Tulip chip registers at 0xec00:
  ffa04800 ffffffff ffffffff 00fff028 00fff228 fc000102 320e0200
fffe0000
  e0000000 fffd83ff ffffffff fffe0000 ffffff80 ffffffff 1c09fdc0
fffffec8
 The Rx process state is 'Stopped'.
 The Tx process state is 'Stopped'.
Transmit stopped, Receive stopped, full-duplex.
 The transmit threshold is 128.
 Port selection is MII, full-duplex.