Xwindows crashes system when tulip module is loaded.

Sami Yousif syousif@iname.com
Wed Oct 21 17:00:26 1998

burnin wrote:

>      I just installed the latest tulip module, v.90 and my Linksys
> Etherfast 10/100
> card is now working. However, with the module installed if I startx or
> even run the
> Xconfigurator and probe my video card I get a black screen and the
> system locks up.
> Without the module installed X works fine.

This seems to be an IRQ problem. see if you can move the pci cards
around, or reallocate the IRQs in the bios so that the VGA card and the
netcard are not sharing the same IRQ.

some bioses have a setting in the BIOS to allow for a vga with
interrupt, while others  allocate based on which slot the card is in.

> I'm running a Micron Millenia PII with a Linksys 10/100 Etherfast card
> with the
> Linksys 169 chipset and a Diamond Viper V330 AGP card. It is a multi-OS
> system and
> the setup works fine under 95 and NT.

Linux and X use the system to its fullest potential, spespecially since
it uses all resources to their max potential, probably generating more
interrupts/etc than win95/NT do in normal use.

> With the tulip module loaded I get the following:
>
> /proc/interrupts
>  0:       8552   timer
>  1:        159   keyboard
>  2:          0   cascade
>  8:          1 + rtc
> 11:         24   eth0
> 12:          0   PS/2 Mouse
> 13:          1   math error
> 14:       2854 + ide0
> 15:          5 + ide1

I notice that ide1 is generating very few interrupts. If it is not used,
you may turn off your secondary ide in the bios and gain an irq
(probably 15) for use with the netcard.

You may also gain an IRQ if you are not using any USB devices by turning
off USB in the bios.

> /proc/ioports
> 0000-001f : dma1
> 0020-003f : pic1
> 0040-005f : timer
> 0060-006f : keyboard
> 0070-007f : rtc
> 0080-009f : dma page reg
> 00a0-00bf : pic2
> 00c0-00df : dma2
> 00f0-00ff : npu
> 0170-0177 : ide1
> 01f0-01f7 : ide0
> 02f8-02ff : serial(auto)
> 0376-0376 : ide1
> 03c0-03df : vga+
> 03f0-03f5 : floppy
> 03f6-03f6 : ide0
> 03f7-03f7 : floppy DIR
> 03f8-03ff : serial(auto)
> 1000-1007 : IDE DMA
> 1008-100f : IDE DMA
> 1400-14ff : eth0
>
> /proc/pci
> PCI devices found:
>   Bus  0, device  13, function  0:
>     Ethernet controller: Unknown vendor LNE100TX (rev 32).
>       Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 11.  Master
> Capable.  Latency=64.
>       I/O at 0x1400.
>       Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf4000000.
>   Bus  0, device   7, function  3:
>     Bridge: Intel 82371AB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 2).
>       Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.
>   Bus  0, device   7, function  2:
>     USB Controller: Intel 82371AB PIIX4 USB (rev 1).
>       Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 9.  Master
> Capable.  Latency=64.
>       I/O at 0x1020.

If you dont have any USB devices, you may be able to gain IRQ 9 for use
by the netcard or the vga device

>   Bus  0, device   7, function  1:
>     IDE interface: Intel 82371AB PIIX4 IDE (rev 1).
>       Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  Master Capable.
> Latency=64.
>       I/O at 0x1000.
>   Bus  0, device   7, function  0:
>     ISA bridge: Intel 82371AB PIIX4 ISA (rev 2).
>       Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  Master Capable.  No
> bursts.
>   Bus  1, device   0, function  0:
>     VGA compatible controller: Unknown vendor Riva 128 (rev 16).
>       Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 11.  Master
> Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=3.Max Lat=1.
>       Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf5000000.
>       Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfc000000.

YUP.. VGA and netcard are grappling for same IRQ

--

---
Sami Yousif

mailto:syousif@iname.com
http://www.mav.net/teddyr/syousif
http://teddyr.home.ml.org

[eMail sent to any of my addresses is subject to the Conditions outlined
in http://www.mav.net/teddyr/emailtos.shtml]

[Note: I no longer support ARNet (arn.net) as an ISP nor WTAMU
(wtamu.edu) as an educational institution nor LEK (lektech.com) as a
Computer
Supplier] {http://www.mav.net/teddyr/access/banned.shtml}

[heard somewhere: "You have the right to remain clueless. Anything you
know may be used against you in a court of law"]

Another day, so many more LARTS to go. [BOFH, BUFH, JOAT]

"Understanding is a three edge sword: Our side, Their Side, and the
Truth" Babylon 5

<time is on my side>

Tuesday, January 19th 2038, 03:14:07 UTC: Are YOU Ready?