LinkSys EtherFast 10/100 LAN Card

David Rose drose@wdi.disney.com
Fri Nov 6 01:49:19 1998

George writes:
> An old (2.1.120) Linux kernel had the following notice in it:
> + * - IRQ9 is broken on PIIX4 motherboards:
>
> I don't remember what motherboard you had, but I suppose it's possible the
> PIIX4 was asserting the interrupt since there isn't a Linux driver for it.
> PCI sharing probably wouldn't work either since the tulip will always get
> the interrupt and won't service it.

Doh!  That's it.  I'm running kernel 2.1.123 on a PIIX4 motherboard.

> Look for an "ACPI" driver in the Windows system devices list.

It exists; what can I conclude from it?

Let me see if I understand: the motherboard uses IRQ9 for power
management stuff.  Since Linux doesn't serve these interrupts, it goes
on to tulip, who doesn't know what to do with them and gets cranky.

Except that--hmm--I have power management disabled in the BIOS.
Should the PIIX4 controller still be generating interrupts in that
case?

David