kingston kne-100tx vs. @home lancity cable modem

Robert G. Brown rgb@phy.duke.edu
Wed Nov 4 23:21:03 1998

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Mark Hahn wrote:

> > when I was contemplating my own home ADSL NIC-Modem connection -- The
> > cable required is a crossover cable.  Think about it -- when connecting
>
> I believe there is no standard for whether a cable-mode/etc
                     ^^^^^^^^^^

Depressing, but probably true.  If you have been told that your modem
can plug directly into a hub, though, it probably needs crossover.

> requires a crossover or straight-through.  my cable modem,
> a Samsung, needs a straight connection.  one handy way to test
> this is a hub with a port that switches between straight and crossed.

Or just get a crossover cable -- maybe $10 at Intrex or Best Buy or any
decent computer store.  The cable the Cable Modem Guys should have given
you (not you but him) should have been right, though...

    rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb@phy.duke.edu