kingston kne-100tx vs. @home lancity cable modem

Ray Lehtiniemi rayl@netrover.com
Wed Nov 4 16:35:14 1998

hi all

i'm having grief with my kingston 10/100 NIC and my new cable modem
service.  no matter what i do, the tulip driver (newest version, built
as a module for my redhat 5.1 2.0.35 kernel) tells me there's no link
beat.

rogers (the cable company) swears up and down that my modem is happy
and they can ping it, so the problem appears to be the UTP link from
NIC to modem.

i grabbed the tulip-diag and the ref manuals for both the 21140AF and
the 80220 transciever chip.  it seems that the auto-negotiation isn;t
happening correctly.  the status regs seem to say it comes up in 100
mode by default and gets stuck waiting for autoneg to complete.  the
ack bit is not set and the autoneg remote end capabilities are all zero.
my local capabilities look fine.

i can load it with the option to force MII-10BaseT media and things seem
to get set up correctly, but it still wants to do autoneg.  if i tweak
the driver to disable this, it doesn;t help.  if i disable the receive
link checking on the 80220, it stops complaining about the link beat,
but unfortunately doesn;t start working.

this is my first try at ethernet, so it's entirely possible i am missing
something really simple here.  any suggestions are appreciated.

thanks

  Ray Lehtiniemi (rayl@netrover.com)