Is this a PCI problem, or a tulip problem...

Bryan Scaringe bscaring@slpmbo.ed.ray.com
Wed Nov 4 15:00:30 1998

I am having a miserable time getting this card working.
I am 99% sure it is a 21*4* based card.  I can't insmod
the module, and when I build the tulip driver into the kernel,
I get NO messages back from dmesg.  Not even a "card not detected"
error.  Yes, I am re-running lilo, to boot from the new kernel.

I have been told of 2 possible reasons for this:
1) My card is too new for the tulip driver, or
2) The tulip driver could handle the card just fine it the PCI
   driver would let it.  PCI probing reveals a device whose
   vendor/device ID's are unknown, so the PCI driver will not make
   the device visable to the tulip driver.

I'm leaning toward #2, singe the tulip driver should handle
generic 21*4* cards just fine.

The card does work in my system, under '95.

Any thoughts on any of this?

All of the gory details are listed below...

Thanks in advance,
	Bryan Scaringe

Info:
1) My BIOS is set to Non-PnP OS
2) I have tries loading the driver as both a module and
   building it directly into the kernel
   (both tulip and de4x5 drivers)

   When loading these drivers as modules, (when they are not
   build into the kernel), insmod just doesn't want to deal
   with them (tulip behaves the same way):
	insmod de4x5.o iobase=0x1000 irq=12 is_not_dec=1
   Results in an error to the effect of "symbol irq not found".
   Removal of the irq symbol from the above line results in the
   same error for iobase.  Remove that, and it complains about
   is_not_dec.  Remove them all, and get:
         "Device not ready or busy"
   Modprobe fails, but doesn't give any explaination. Even with
   the -v option.

> Here's an excerpt from /proc/pci...
>
> PCI devices found:
>   Bus  0, device   9, function  0:
>     Ethernet controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 16).
>       Vendor id=10ac. Device id=0.
>       Medium devsel.  IRQ 191.  Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=32.Max Lat=64.
>       I/O at 0x0.
>       Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe4000000.
>   Bus  0, device   7, function  1:
>     IDE interface: VIA Technologies VT 82C586 Apollo IDE (rev 6).
>       Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  Master Capable.  Latency=64.
>       I/O at 0xf400.
>   Bus  0, device   7, function  0:
>     ISA bridge: VIA Technologies VT 82C586 Apollo ISA (rev 65).
>       Medium devsel.  Master Capable.  No bursts.
>   <snip>
>
> We're interested in the first item.
> Notice the I/O base. 0x0 !  I assume this is wrong.
> also notice the IRQ. 191 ! Not good!
>

> Also note /proc/interrupts...
>
>  0:      10933   timer
>  1:        221   keyboard
>  2:          0   cascade
>  3:          7 + serial
>  8:          1 + rtc
> 13:          1   math error
> 14:      10720 + ide0
> 15:         13 + ide1
>
> The card is not even listed.

more info:  My system is dual boot.  Win95
   has the card at I/O 0x1000-0x107f, Irq 12
   so I didn't just make up those numbers.