21143 updates, and Re: large number of TX packets on ftp

Mitchell Blank Jr mitch@execpc.com
Thu Jul 30 23:01:06 1998

(Note: this is off-topic.  My original reply was off list, but Peter decided
to cc: the list again... I guess I'll honor his decision.)

> Oh yes it does. This anomaly is even pointed out in some of the linux

Where.

> Guess what? My mem.c contains different code! Here are my mem.c functions:

That's just an issue with the prototypes for the VFS layer functions being
slightly different in 2.1.  You might notice that the code is identical (i.e.
it just returns 0 bytes available to read and a fully sucessful write.  It
does no IO)

Don't take my word for it - just do a "cat </dev/zero >/dev/null" and watch
the lack of disk activity.

> the code is fairly current, but apparently this is not the case. Which
> distribution did your mem.c come from?

It's from a recent development kernel.  Like I said, the actual *code*
is identical.

-Mitch