Matrox Shark NS-100/4

Donald Becker becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Jul 23 13:47:04 1998

On Thu, 23 Jul 1998 shammett@alpine-electronics.co.uk wrote:

>      I've been playing with the driver trying to get it to work with the
> Matrox Shark card. The driver consistanly
> reports that none of the 21140ae have EEPROMs, but this appears to be
> because Matrox have decided to
> use their own format for the contents of the EEPROM, and even more
> irritatingly have put the EEPROM on
> the second chip of 4....

Correct, that's exactly the problem.
Matrox did this deliberately so that standard 21*4* driver would not work
with their boards.

> Here's the contents of the second chips eeprom as printed by tulip-diag.c:
>
> Eeprom contents on chip index #2.
>
> ffff 0020 fc0e 08fc    ffff ffff ffff ffff

This is the station address.

But since it's on the second (or "third") chip, not even -DREVERSE_PROBE
will allow the chip with EEPROM to be found first.

Donald Becker					  becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882	     http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html