depmod returns unresolved symbols

Charles Galpin cgalpin@lighthouse-software.com
Wed Dec 2 18:10:56 1998

Sorry to need so much hand holding here, but

===== Original Message from Donald Becker <becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov> at
12/02/98 5:57 pm

>Just change -I*3.0.5* to  -I*3.0.6* in the compile command.

that's exactly what I did.

>> My modem card which used to work now fails. It is now recognized as a memory
>> card, and I get a warning that there is no high memory space available if I
>> insert the ethernet card first.
>
>This is a problem in the PCMCIA package.  The specific device driver ("card
>services" in PCMCIA-speak) is only loaded after the controller code ("socket
>services") reads the card information ("CIS") and looks up the required
>driver in /etc/pcmcia/config.

Is there anything I can do about it?

>> Dec  2 07:27:59 piglet cardmgr[1392]: socket 0: Anonymous Memory
>> Dec  2 07:27:59 piglet cardmgr[1392]: executing: 'insmod
>> /lib/modules/2.0.35/pcmcia/memory_cs.o'
>
>Yup, the control code can't read the CIS, and is treating the card like an
>ancient memory-only card.

So does this mean I won't be able to get this thing working? Im at a loss
what to do here. The depmod warnings appear to be irrelevant to my
situation, and I seem to have taken a step backward since my modem now does
not work.

I can just return this thing and buy another i guess. I don't like to give
up this easily. If so I'll have to do it soon before they give me crap about
it. I've seen a D-Link DFE650 10/100 for sale for $69 on buy.com - it's in
the supported list. If you think this is a bad choice, any suggestions would
be appreciated.

Thanks
Charles

-- Charles Galpin  <cgalpin@lighthouse-software.com>