Curious phenomenon

Greg Lindahl lindahl@cs.virginia.edu
Wed Aug 26 16:13:26 1998

I have sort-of verified the cat5000 autosense weirdness reported
earlier.

I have 2 alphas with DE500 cards (modern 21143-based cards) and
driver v0.83, wired to 100 megabits at compile time.
#define TULIP_DEFAULT_MEDIA 3

If my cat5000 is set to 100/full, I get 5% to 10% packet loss with
8000 byte packets between the 2 machines. They get lots of nfs errors
in general and their clocks jump 10 to 20 milliseconds every time they
get one.

If my cat5000 is set to autonegotiate, I get 0% loss.

Now, if you read what I said above, you'll note that I made a
mistake. I wired the driver to half-duplex and the cat5000 to
full-duplex. Is this the behavior I should expect? Or am I reading
something wrong? Is this what rgb was seeing, too?

-- g