Problems with Linksys EtherFast 10/100 PCI and 0.89K

Rob Ross rbross@parl.eng.clemson.edu
Fri Aug 14 15:02:41 1998

Heh...I stand corrected!  I have seven of these cards; when I first
purchased them I had no idea that there was more than one chip that might
be on the boards, and when I started debugging I just looked at a couple
of the ones lying around...I have 6 169's and a 168, which happened to be
the one in the machine.

I'll try dropping a LC82C169 in the machine and see how it compares.
Thanks for pointing this out to me.

Rob

On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, John G. wrote:

> Rob Ross wrote:
> >
> > I just purchased a few of the Linksys EtherFast 10/100 PCI cards with
> > the LC82C169 chip on board, and I'm having some troubles.
>
> Are you sure it has the LC82C169 chip on board?  There are actually (at
> least) 2 versions of the 3'rd revision of this board (the one with
> Linksys printed on the chip).  Even though the box the card came in may
> have LC82C169 printed on it and the chipset on the card itself has
> Linksys written on it, the chipset could still have LC82C168 printed
> beneath the Linksys logo.
>
> I say this because (1) my card is 3'rd revision and has the Linksys logo
> on the chipset, yet it still has LC82c168 stamped on the chipset too,
> not LC82c169, and (2) because I quote from your post:
>
>   Aug 13 14:20:33 playtoy kernel: tulip.c:v0.89K 8/8/98
> becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
>   Aug 13 14:20:33 playtoy kernel: eth0: Lite-On 82c168 PNIC at 0x6c00,
>           00 a0 cc 21 8b 29, IRQ 10.                 ^

[snip]