AW: [realtek] RTL8101L/BL Support

Markus Wössner m.woessner@woessner-it.de
Mon Jan 27 09:44:01 2003

Donald,

Thanks for your answer.

> On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Markus Wössner wrote:
>
> > I want to use a slim pc system (MSI  MS-6232) which has an
> > onboard NIC (RTL8101L/BL).
>
> Is this a standard piece of hardware, or is it a
> special-purpose design without an EEPROM?

I am not quite sure about that:
This is a standard MSI compact mainboard, with the RTL8101L/BL onboard.
I don’t know if this one has a eeprom, maybe this functionality is
embeded in the BIOS. Is this information enough for you or should I
check something out for you?

> > My proplem is, that any of the Realtek drivers I use under linux
> > fails:
> >
> > The 8139too which is included in the 2.4.20 Kernel fails to load at
> > all. The rtl8139 driver from www.scyld.com loads and successfully
> > sends a DHCP Discover package.
>
> What is the detection message?

For your Information:
The 8139cp fails also (as expected: it says the chip is no 8139C+, which
IMHO is perfectly true).

The detection message of rtl8139 is:

rtl8139 - using /lib/modules/rtl8139.o
rtl8139.c V1.22 11/17/2002 Donald Becker.....
eth0: RealTek RTL8139C Fast Ethernet at 0xd400, IRQ 12,
00:10:dc:7a:91:08.

Thanks for your assistance,
Markus Wössner