[realtek] RTL8100B support

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Tue Oct 8 23:08:01 2002

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Orlando Andico wrote:

> I have a "Sinetic I-Net PC 1000" appliance. This one:
> http://www.sinetic.com/inet/INET1000.htm
>
> It has an RTL8100B onboard. Linux (well the RedHat 7.3 default kernel)
> detects BOTH an RTL8139 (8139too driver) and an Intel EtherExpress Pro
> 10/100 (well on the i815e ICH2 chip).
>
> I notice that both modules have to be loaded for the ethernet interface to
> work.

This should not be true.  Either one should work alone.

> (I am supposing the RTL8100B is so dumb that it only provides
> physical layer, and the ICH2 chip provides the Ethernet layer?)

No, the RTL8100B is the name given to the rtl8139 when it is put directly
on the motherboard.

> The problem is that, only one of the ethernet jacks works. The other one
> does not (I can't ping either eth0 or eth1 from a remote machine if the
> eth0 jack is unconnected).

That's curious.  Which NIC isn't working?  Which driver version are you
using with that NIC?

--
Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993