[realtek] MAC address setting for ether card

Kurt Keville debug@MIT.EDU
Tue Jun 4 14:07:01 2002

I have been hardwiring my MAC addresses with the rtl8139-diag rewrite from
http://ilab.usc.edu/beo. It seems to be doing the trick but I don't have
stickers on my NICs so I am not sure anymore what the original MAC
addresses were. I am going to relook at Michael Heldebrant's attempt to put
bonding in the /etc/network/interfaces file (the Debian location for
ifcfg-bond0) so that I don't need to write any more EEPROMs.

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet static
	address 10.1.1.1
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	pre-up ifconfig eth0 up && ifconfig eth1 up
	up ifenslave -e bond0 eth0 eth1
	down ifenslave -d bond0 eth0 eth1
	post-down ifconfig eth0 down && ifconfig eth1 down

possibly by doubling up the ifconfig lines like...

pre-up ifconfig eth0 hw ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx up

I haven't been getting proper inheritance so I need to investigate that a
bit... maybe putting the IP address in there as well.

Kurt Keville
Debian Beowulf Users Group (DeBUG)
http://www.extreme-linux.com
Cluster On!