[realtek] Ethernet card config - Bering

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Mon Jul 29 12:28:01 2002

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, David Dannemiller wrote:

> I originally posted this to the leaf-user list, where it was suggested that
> I post here.

> Linux firewall 2.4.18 #4 Sun Jun 9 09:46:15 CEST 2002 i586 unknown
>
> My 2 ethernet cards are both D-Link DFE-530TX+, which are PCI cards.
> Relevant lines in /etc/modules are:
> # needed by PCI modules
> pci-scan

You shouldn't need to list this explicitly.  The PCI scanning and power
management support is automatically loaded before the rtl8139.o module.

> # D-Link card
> rtl8139
..
> Shortly after boot, the following message is displayed:
>
> eth0: Transmit timeout, status 0c 0005 media 00.

There should have been other messages before this.

What is the detection message?
What is the packet count when this happens?  ('cat /proc/net/dev/')
What does 'mii-diag' report?
  http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
    ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/diag/

> The D-Link ethernet cards are PnP.

Note that all PCI cards are "PnP".
PCI "PnP" is unrelated to the actions taken with ISA Plug-n-Pray.

> The BIOS defaulted both cards to the same IRQ.

This is not a problem with PCI cards.  In ancient times there were a few
broken SCSI drivers, but those have long since been fixed.

> I tried one of the D-Link boards with a Linksys board.  In that
> configuration I could force which board was eth0 and eth1 by the order in
> which modules were listed in /etc/modules.  I could get either the LAN or
> the WAN to work (meaning successful pings), but not both at the same time.

This points to a routing or firewall problem.

Note that the Linksys card requires a bus-master slot, so if it works
there is not a PCI slot problem.

--
Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993