[realtek] 8139too and rtl8139C Too! Also! Including! ARGH!

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Mon Jan 28 00:59:00 2002

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Kirk Wolff wrote:

> Hello, I am sure you have had this problem over and over again, but...

Yes, similar questions have been answered many, many times.  That's what
list archives are for...

> I have the following entry in my modules.conf in order to attempt to
> get the card configured.  I managed to figure out this line from
> searching through the 8139too.c file in the drivers/net directory.
>
> alias eth2 8139too
> options 8139too media=0x0030

Why are you forcing the duplex?

> The media type of 0x30 should FORCE it full duplex, 100Mbps right?

Yes.

> It says that I am getting 100Mbps, FD right?  Well I look at my
> switch, and the Full Duplex light doesn't come on.

Correct.  Forcing full duplex disables autonegotiation, so the switch
uses half duplex.

> I should add that I get the following from an ifconfig:
>           RX packets:826806 errors:183153 dropped:6136 overruns:6780 frame:0

Yup, this is what happens when you force a duplex mismatch.

Easy answer: DON'T DO THAT!
Use the default setting.

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993