[realtek] Pbm with 2.4.9 -> 2.4.17 8139 driver

François B user@maison.homelinux.net
Sun Jan 13 13:10:00 2002

Happy new year for everybody and forgive me for my english, I'm
french...

I have a Cyrix 166 routeur with USB Alcatel Speedtouch and a 8139 card.
A fact is that the card don't work well in 100base-TX but work perfectly
in 10baseT-HD mode under the 2.4.3 Kernel.

But it seems that there is a bug in ip_conntrack and the kernel crashed
sometimes when it received a big packet for a connexion with disappear
from ip_conntrack table.
I read that this bug is solved in 2.4.x kernel, x>=9.

I tried 2.4.x kernel with x=9, 12, 15 and 17 and I have always the same
pbm:
The connexion with the RTL8139 card is hashed in general (a big packet,
time with anything, another big packet, time with anything,...) and very
slow under ftp.

I tried to put the 2.4.3 driver on 2.4.17 (changing the 8139too.c file)
but link of kernel failed. I tried to put 2.4.9 ip_conntrack on 2.4.3
but it's a "big bazar" and seems to be difficult.

Do you have any indication to solve my pbm.

Thanks to have read this.

F. Boisson