[realtek] on-board rtl8139 fails.

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Sat Dec 7 17:22:02 2002

On 7 Dec 2002, Jarl Friis wrote:
> Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com> writes:
> > On 7 Dec 2002, Jarl Friis wrote:
> >
> > > I bought a Medion MD5400 Notebook with an *onboard* rtl8139 ethernet
> > > chip. System is SuSE 8.1.
..
> 2.4.19

> > Key elements:
> >   notebook
> >   on-board
>
> Do you want me to try with a newer kernel? 2.4.20 or 2.5.x?

It's worth trying -- although don't think that anything significant has
changed in 2.4.20, perhaps there is a specific work-around for a quirk,

> > > Dec  7 01:16:09 hermes kernel: eth0: Transmit timeout, status 0d 0004 media 10.
> > > Dec  7 01:16:09 hermes kernel: eth0: RTL8139 Interrupt line blocked, status 4.
> >
> > OK, this is your problem.
>
> Is this what is also known as an "interrupt conflict"?

That usually refers to two devices trying to share an unsharable IRQ
line.  With PCI sharing is possible.

> > What was the driver detection message?
> Dec  7 01:14:40 hermes kernel: rtl8139.c:v1.22 11/17/2002 Donald Becker, becker@scyld.com.
> Dec  7 01:14:40 hermes kernel: eth0: RealTek RTL8139C Fast Ethernet at 0x1800, IRQ 9, 00:40:ca:bb:ae:ac.

IRQ 9, the driver is using the same IRQ as reported in /proc/pci.

> There are other device with this IRQ too, these are as follows

[[ Many other devices, including the CardBus bridge and CardBus
cards. ]]
> By the way, the built-in RTL8139 does not work with the DECchip PCMCIA card
> unplugged.

Do CardBus cards work?

> > Try running this while the interface is "up" and check for interrupt
> > sources.  My guess is that you will see unhandled interrupts.
>
> OK. This output is slightly different, but I can't see any unhandled
> interrupts. Here it comes:
> rtl8139-diag.c:v2.10 9/18/2002 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)

Try sending a few packets throught the interface first...

--
Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993