[realtek] Question: Rx Ring Buffers in the rtl8139 module

joerg.beyer@email.de joerg.beyer@email.de
Fri Aug 30 14:22:03 2002

Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com> schrieb am 30.08.02 20:13:19:
> On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 joerg.beyer@email.de wrote:
>
> > 8139too gives in the order of 10.000 errors per sec under load, while
> > rtl8139 is better and has (only) a few 100 errors per sec.
> >
> > Is there anything I can do about that?
>
> Turn on flow control, if you have a flow control switch.
> Tune the PCI parameters.
>
> > Any debugging I can do?
>
> What are the errors?  Dropped packets?  Or CRC errors?

dropped packet (ifconfig states the same sumber for dropped as
for overruns). There are onyl Rx no Tx errors.

Also nfs hangs after very few accesses: mounting a remote fs
is ok, the first ls /mnt is often ok (but not always) and one of
the next ls /mnt/somedir will hang.

> > It's an onboard NIC on a laptop.
>
> Which might have a very slow PCI system or processor..

not really: it's a athlon 1200 mhz mobile. should be enough for a single
TCP connection (my testcase is scp to the laptop).

    Joerg